Tuesday, April 7, 2009
DISCUSSION REFLECTION
In our “drop The Bomb?” discussion/debate, I thought overall the class did a rather good job in acting as though we were not sure of what would happen if the bomb were dropped. Occasionally some “but we know what happened” slipped out, but overall we kept the present tense well. Although to metaphorical for my taste, there were lots of good points made on both sides. Our generally radically morale class did a good job of blending into the viewpoint given to them and not arguing against their own point. In the context that I am not allowed to know what happens if the bomb is dropped I probably would have still sided with dropping the bomb, as the not dropping the bomb side didn’t deny the death of more American soldiers if we went with their plan, as well as basing a good deal of their argument behind religious and morale values which, in my opinion, have to be set aside at times if it means protecting American lives. They did argue that the Japanese were beginning to give up, but it would have been helpful to have gotten information about that since I was I in a pro-dropping group and I did not see that in my packet. Also I do not believe the US government would consider dropping the bomb if Japan was negotiating surrender. The idea of sacrificing many Japanese lives in order to save both American and other Japanese lives seems more logical and although possibly not internationally morale, if I were a US Representative it would be my job to help make decisions to protect my country, and dropping the bomb would protect the American people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment