Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Cowboy and American Indian Letter









Dear Judewin,

It was so great to see you the other day. I know that you can’t come and see me on the farm but we can always write letters and stay in touch. Yesterday I rode my horse around to see if you were at the school house but I am sad to say that I didn’t see you there. I hope you’ve enjoyed the American school and getting to know all of the Americans! Please write back to me.

Yours,
John

Dear John,

I got your letter and am so happy you wrote to me. I actually never thought I would be able to talk to you again. I have not loved the new school that I am attending. I feel as if you may not know the truth as to what goes on in the schools. The Americans are trying to make all of us completely Americanized. One teacher told me that, “we have to be American because Indians are uncivilized.” They don’t care how they hurt us. I hate it their. I was not at school today because tomorrow my parents are sending me to a new school. They are sending me to the new American Indian school it is called the Carlisle School. I leave tomorrow morning but you can write me their too I will put the address on the back of the envelope. I guess I won’t be seeing you around anymore now that I am going to this new school. But let’s promise to write and tell each other what we do every single day. Please write back.

Yours,
Judewin

Dear Judewin,

Wow I didn’t know the way the Americans were talking to you. That’s not right; I know that you are civilized. I am sure that you will learn a lot at the new school and will love it there. They will teach you great things but I will surely miss you. It’s so sad that you’re going to have to be away for a while and I won’t be able to see you around. I promise I will tell you what I have been doing every single day and you have to do the same. I have not done too much today. I took my horses out and rode them around a lot. I have had a lot to think about so I’ve been riding and thinking all day. There has been so much on my mind and it is really nice to just ride around sometimes. I also had to work very early this morning on my uncle’s farm doing my usual cowboy duties. One of the horses almost got away today but I was able to get him back. I want my own farm so badly! I have been trying to get enough money to work on my own farm but I don’t get nearly enough money to buy my own land. Maybe when you get back you and I can even make our own farm someday and get our own land. I mean if you would ever want to, but that is way in the future. Well I will keep working and keep hoping for my own farm.

Yours,
John

Dear John,

It seems that you have been very busy which is great. It’s a good thing you didn’t let that horse get away that would not be good! Anyways, what have you been thinking about so much? You can always tell me anything because I am here for you.
John! I would love to get a farm with you one day that would be great and I would really like that. Anyways the Carlisle Indian School has been awful. They are trying to make us cut off all of our hair to become more American like. But my long hair is part of and my Indian roots. They say that unless we cut our hair we can’t be Americans. Well I don’t want to be an American. I don’t want to get rid of my heritage and background to become what some people think is civilized. It is horrible here and I hate it. Also, the other day I was talking to one of my friends in our native language. I got whipped and my mouth was washed out with lye soap, even though I clearly have mastered the English language. The people in charge of the school have been horrible to me and although I am learning and becoming more fit for society I hate it here. I can’t wait to come home and we can be together again. I have had something on my mind also John. I want to tell you but I don’t think I can yet, maybe in another letter.

Yours,
Judewin

Dear Judewin,

Judewin you asked me to tell you what I had been thinking about and well here it is. I love you Judewin, I will wait around for you forever and ever because I really like you. The past few days of seeing you only for a short while were great but I want to be with you forever. My parents have been telling me I need to hurry up and find a wife to get my life started but the truth is I have been waiting for you. Although I will not be able to tell my parents that I will marry you we can run away and fall in love together. I have had these dreams of us moving to our own land far away and I can have my own farm, my own family, and most importantly be with you forever. I will understand if you do not feel the same way that I do but truthfully I love you and you are all I care about. I am so sorry to hear about how horribly the school is treating you but just think I will be here for you with open arms when you return.

Yours,
John

Dear John,

I am extremely happy that you feel that way about me because I wanted to tell you that I love you too. You are a great person and one of the few people in my life that is always there for me. I have never felt this way about anyone else, and that is why I am about to do something extreme. John, I have decided that I will escape from the Carlisle Indian School so that I can finally be with you again. There is nothing I want more than to be with you and that is why I am going to do this. Please meet me here in Pennsylvania on April 20th. That is ten days from now and by then I hope you will have gotten this letter and are on your way. I have saved up enough money to get us anywhere we want from the railroad station near here. I know you will come and we can move far far away. Please be here for me, I have the escape route planned perfectly and know that I can do it. If I get caught I will be beaten and may die but it is worth it for you. I will see you soon.

Yours,
Judewin

No comments:

Post a Comment