Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Parallel Work, Different Lives: Diaries of Women Making Blankets








3 May 1872

Today I decided to make a new quilt with my dear friend Molly. Her daughter is getting married in the fall and she needs blankets for her new house. Normally, cooking and cleaning take up the majority of my day, so making this quilt will be a nice change of pace, especially since I now have Yandi , my new worker from the fields, to do some housework, look after my kids, and clean. Now I can spend some extra time sewing with Molly. I recently bought a sewing machine, the first in our town, and I am very excited to show off how well it works to the community. My neighbors will be very jealous, especially Jan, as she has been working all winter on her quilt. She will be astonished when I finish mine in half the time. If this goes well, I shall make another one for my dear boy, Johnny, who has grown too much in the last year to have his feet covered by the old one.


Early thaw, Dark moon

Winter has ended. We were stuck in our tipi for most of the last three moons. It kept us warm, but I am happy we can be outside, in nature again. While the cold wind was blowing, I was thinking of colors and designs for a new blanket. I told Elan to trade some of our bison meat for wool in the market. I have set up my loom, so when I find and prepare the wool, I will be ready to begin. My family will thank the spirits for giving us an extra blanket. My two youngest are getting too old to share a blanket. They will be very pleased to have their own blankets. My children are growing faster than the river flows.


10 May 1872

I have been working on my quilt with Molly for five days now. It took us awhile to get started because she is busy so often. She does not have someone like Yandi, so she has to find time to come over after all her cleaning and cooking chores are done. She began bringing her children over so Yandi can look after them while we work. Molly is a very pleasant person to work with; we talk about the gossip around town while moving forward on our quilt. Once we mapped out our design, everything has been running smoothly and quickly because I have this sewing machine! I cannot wait to see Molly’s daughter’s face when she gets her present. Her husband will also be very pleased with the quality of the quilt blankets in their new house. He was seeing some loose hired girl before he met Molly’s wonderful daughter, Kelly. The whole town is pleased to see that he chose Kelly. They are such a perfect match.


Early flowers, Half moon

I have been working on this blanket from sunrise to sunset. It has taken over my life. Now that the process of dying and preparing the wool is over, the weaving has begun. It is very difficult to make a blanket with many designs, but for my first son, I will do anything. News has come that Indian kids are being taken to white American schools. I am nervous for him, so I am making this blanket full of symbols from our culture to scare away all of the evil spirits. I hope that he will stay with me and my family. If he goes to the American school, he may lose his connection to his true self. If white men only take some young spirits, I pray to the gods that they only take my eldest son. He has the most memories and will be most able to pray to the gods and spirits, and then surely the evil men will return him. If they take all of my children, I am not sure how I will survive. For now, all I can do is wait. Spending all of my time weaving is a good distraction from worrying about my children. My husband, although very strong, is getting older. It is almost time for my son to start working with the men. So many thoughts are running through my head like different animals through a field.


10 June 1872

The blanket for Kelly was a great success. Everyone enjoyed it so much that I have begun selling quilts. I have made only three, but I have many orders. I am contemplating hiring another farm girl to help me with all the work. Molly is also helpful, and she is trying to save enough money to buy her own sewing machine. I want to start teaching my eldest daughter, Janine, the process of making the blankets. If all works out, this could become lucrative. Making blankets is not too difficult now that it is summer. I have to spend some time working around the house, but luckily I have Yandi, who is a huge help. The garden is full of great foods for us to eat, and the children are always busy running around in the fields and by the river. Life is so pleasant right now, especially with the new influx of money. I never earned even a dime in my whole life until now. There is nothing I need for myself, but I am very proud of my accomplishments. This summer Edward is off collecting Indian children to transform them into proper human beings. I treasure his catholic beliefs; he is so caring to go out of his way to save the souls of those uncivilized children.


Warm breeze, Half moon

We are sick with sadness. White men, and their evil spirits, came and stole our children. While they were taking them, they talked about how the children would become better people. I do not understand how these men can help my children more than I can. I understand my children’s wants and needs better than they do! I got a note from my son, and he told me that the blanket that I had just finished for him a few days earlier was ripped up and thrown away. I do not understand what possessed those people at that school to ruin a new blanket. I feel lost now without my children. They are what I live for, and now that they are gone, I am nothing. My tribal friends are trapped with the same feelings. Everyone around us has no idea what to do to save our children from this horrible fate. We have been working together to stay strong. Each morning we give crops to the holy spirits. I do not know what we did to turn the gods against us. We are very good to them, and all of nature.



Pictures

http://www.lib.montana.edu/digital/nadb/

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/I?ngp:1:./temp/~ammem_rkOz::displayType=1:m856sd=ndfahult:m856sf=b192:@@@

No comments:

Post a Comment